The Silent Killer- Carbon Monoxide

The release of Carbon Monoxide gas inside your house can happen anytime.  In a few minutes, a large amount of Carbon Monoxide (CO) gas can come without warning, causing you to suffocate and lose consciousness, and if you don’t escape on time, you will eventually die.

 

Every year, 20,000 to 30,000 in the US are unknowingly exposed to the deadly gas Carbon Monoxide and approximately 500 people die. Once you breathe (CO) in, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with your hemoglobin (the parts of your red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body),  and they combine and form into carboxyhemoglobin. The blood is then no longer able to carry oxygen. Organs such as the brain, heart, and other vital organs are deprived of oxygen which can result in suffocating, state of intense confusion, and then eventually it can cause the body’s cells and tissues to fail and die.

In every house, it is vital to have the (CO) detector. You may or may not have this alarm in your house, and if you don’t, it’s a good idea to keep up precautions and purchase one

Low exposure to Carbon Monoxide can produce symptoms similar to food poisoning and flu. (CO) doesn’t cause one’s temperature to rise when exposed like the way flu does so it is vital to be aware of these symptoms and not to take them lightly. Long-term exposure to (CO) can lead to confusion, difficulty thinking, frequent mood changes, depression, and can cause one to become easily irritated. One will also slowly lose their memory, vision, balance and eventually loss of consciousness within two hours. Breathing in high levels of Carbon Monoxide can cause a lot more severe symptoms such as:

  • Seizures – an uncontrollable burst of electrical activity in the brain that causes severe muscle spasms
  • Tachycardia- Heart rate increases more than 100 beats per minute
  • Ataxia – loss of physical coordination caused by underlying damage to the brain and nervous system
  • Chest pain caused by Angina or heart attack
  • Loss of consciousness – In high exposure to this gas, death can occur within minutes

 

(CO) is produced when natural fuels from wood, coal, gas, and oils don’t burn fully. Boilers, gas fires, central heating systems, water heaters, cookers, and open fires are hazards in producing Carbon Monoxide. It has no odor, no taste, and no color. It’s as thin as air so you won’t see it coming.

 

 

 

 

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *